The Government Investment in Decarbonising Industry (GIDI) Fund
The GIDI Fund
The GIDI Fund is a partnership between Government and business to accelerate the decarbonisation of industrial process heat and contribute to the COVID-19 recovery by stimulating the domestic economy and supporting employment.
Process heat makes up around a third of New Zealand’s overall energy use, and 60% of process heat is fossil-fuelled, mainly by gas and coal.
EECA (The Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority) administers the GIDI Fund on behalf of the Government through a contestable process that will see $69M of capital grants co-investment made available to support good projects.
The Fund is available to New Zealand-based private sector businesses who have committed to decarbonising their business and industrial processes, where Government co-investment will help remove barriers to accelerating their decarbonisation goals.
Objectives of the Fund
- Decarbonise industrial processes and process heat through energy efficiency, the application of innovative technologies, and fuel switching.
- Economic stimulus of the domestic economy and supporting local employment.
- Encouraging innovation by supporting early adopters of technologies that demonstrate wide replication and emissions reduction potential.
- Accelerating action as a key part of the Government’s 2021 Emissions Reduction Plan in response to the Climate Change Commission’s first emissions budgets.
Scope of the Fund
Projects considered for co-investment to decarbonise industrial process heat through energy efficiency, technology innovation, and fuel switching where they directly reduce the use of fossil fuels and can include support for electricity network infrastructure upgrades where they directly enable an electrification project.
Projects focusing on these areas are out of scope:
- residential or commercial buildings and campuses
- transport initiatives including decarbonisation of off road vehicles, and marine vessels
- waste minimisation
- electricity generation
- reducing agricultural emissions or embodied carbon
- Research & development, and the implementation of technologies that are not commercially available
If you have a query about whether your project is eligible for funding, get in touch with the EECA point of contact: GIDIFund@eeca.govt.nz