Vehicles with more stars are more energy efficient
Better energy efficiency means that for each kilometre travelled, you burn less fuel and release fewer carbon emissions. The most energy efficient cars have six stars.
Choosing more energy-efficient vehicles is one of the most effective ways to reduce New Zealand’s greenhouse gas emissions.
Look for the label on vehicles sold on car yards and online
Under Regulations, motor vehicle traders must display a Vehicle Emissions and Energy Economy Label on cars, utes and vans they’re selling that weigh 3.5 tonnes or under, provided the information is available. Motorbikes are exempt. Motor vehicle traders and private sellers must display Vehicle Emissions and Energy Economy Label information for vehicles listed for sale online.
What information does the label include?
- Vehicle make and model.
- Vehicle type – petrol, diesel, electric, hybrid, plug-in hybrid.
- The amount of the Rebate or Fee under the Clean Car programme, if applicable.
- Energy economy star rating - up to 6 stars for the most fuel efficient vehicles.
- Carbon dioxide emissions star rating — up to 6 stars for the lowest emission vehicles.
- Carbon dioxide emissions in grams per kilometre – tailpipe emissions.
- Fuel economy in litres per 100 km – for petrol and diesel vehicles.
- Electricity economy in kWh per 100 km – for electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles.
- Estimated yearly running costs — based on stated energy price and driving 14,000 km. Includes road user charges for diesels.
- Electric mode range in kilometres – for electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles.
Emissions and Energy Economy information comes from laboratory testingThe emissions and energy economy star ratings are based on data submitted by the vehicle manufacturer and/or importer. The information is obtained by the manufacturer when a new vehicle is tested in accordance with international test standards in a laboratory.
Improve real world vehicle energy economyActual emissions and energy economy depends on many factors including driving style, speed and distance travelled, vehicle load and tyre pressure.
Compare carbon emissions
Enter a number plate on the Rightcar website to compare vehicles' emissions, energy economy safety.
Selling a car?
Easy steps to comply with regulations and generate a Vehicle Emissions and Energy Economy Label.
Compare EVs with petrol or diesel vehicles
Use our total cost of ownership tool to compare electric vehicles with petrol or diesel vehicles.