What's worth knowing
- Good for bedrooms, studies and other smaller rooms
- Cheap to buy
- Huge range of types and technologies
- More expensive to run than most other options
- Less powerful than other heating types
Be Gen Less with electric heaters
Convection, panel, oil column, fan, micathermic, radiant, infrared… they all convert our 80% renewable electricity into useful heat with the same efficiency.
- Go for one with a higher wattage and a thermostat. You’ll get to a comfortable temperature quickly without wasting energy.
- Use a timer to warm the room before you need it – you can buy a separate timer plug.
- Put portable heaters on the cold side of the room or near a window – it helps to distribute the heat.
- Stay safe – keep heaters away from curtains and anything else that could catch fire. Plug in only one heater per socket.
How much do they cost to run?
- 250W - 6 cents/hour
- 1000W - 25 cents/hour
- 2400W - 60 cents/hour
(Assuming an electricity price of 25 cents/kWh.)