Encouraging your staff to take a breather from all that driving gives the planet a breather, too. Transport makes up over 20% of Aotearoa's greenhouse gas emissions.
Not everyone can give up the commute, but we’ve found that if just one in five Kiwis switch the car for active transport (biking or walking), or work at home, one day a week, we could avoid 84,000 tonnes of carbon emissions each year – that’s like taking 35,000 cars off the road for good. Here's how you could make it work for your business.
- Set up good-quality options for virtual meeting, like web or video conferencing How and why to implement a work from home policy
- Encourage your staff to work from home one day a week
- Switch your fleet vehicles to EVs The benefits of EVs
- Encourage active ways to get to work and provide bike parking and showers Switch up your transport
- Phase out car parking as an employee benefit
- Say no to endless work flights Reduce your flying
- Encourage staff to walk to meetings or make it easy for them to take public transport by reimbursing their fare