Choosing a washing machine
There are two types of washing machine – top loader and front loader. Top loaders tend to use more water and energy, but they wash more quickly.
- Get the right size for your household. As a guide, up to 6kg capacity suits 1-2 people, 6-8kg for 3-4 people, and at least 8kg for 4 or more.
- Check the spin speed. Machines with a spin speed of 1000rpm or higher remove more water, cutting down on drying time.
- Different settings give you options. Get the choice of cold wash cycles, auto-sensing or load size selection – so you only use the water and energy you need.
- Use the benefits of an efficient hot water system. If you have a wetback, solar water heater or heat pump water heater, chose a model with a hot and cold water connections.
Doing a hot wash in a washing machine with 5 stars on the Energy Rating Label generates 61% less emissions than a similar washing machine with only 2 stars.
Get more for less
Reduce the amount of energy your washing machine uses:
- Wash with cold A warm wash every five loads, or a hot wash every 10 loads, will remove any dirt and detergent build-up.
- Wash full loads. Wait until the machine is full rather than doing several smaller loads.
- Adjust the water level. Choose the right setting to suit your load size, or use the auto-sensing feature.
- Wash similar items together. Throw all your lightly soiled clothes in a cold wash together, and give dirty clothes a separate warm or hot wash.